Dustin Thorlakson is a highly motivated designer currently residing in Seattle. Before founding DustinThorlaksonDesign, he was an architectural intern at RTKL associates where he completed the Schematic Design and Design Development phases of a mixed-use development in Manila, Philippines. His specific areas of expertise include computer modeling, AutoCAD drafting, physical model creation, and construction document preparation. In addition, he is proficient in AutoCAD 2009, Revit 2010, Sketchup, Photoshop CS3, Illustrator CS3, Adobe Acrobat, and the Microsoft Office Suite.
Prior to working at RTKL Associates, Dustin held an architectural internship with Sierra-Martin Architects where he developed a reputation as a results-oriented team member who offered immediate contributions. Furthermore, he worked in the construction industry at Hazel Point Company allowing him to integrate the building process into his design work.
Throughout his career, Dustin has been known for pursuing the most efficient, yet innovative solution to complex design issues. Maintaining a reputation as a true team player, he is perceived as a hard working, personable designer who surpasses his daily tasks.
Dustin holds a Bachelor of Architecture degree from the University of Southern California where he graduated Cum Laude as a member of the Tau Sigma Delta Architectural Honor Society. Additional academic accomplishments:
- Studied at the USC Marshall School of Business where he obtained a minor in Business Administration while pursuing Real Estate Investment, Marketing, and Accounting.
- Awarded the Chase L. Leavitt Traveling Fellowship for a proposal to visit and study planned urban developments across the United States. Research included visiting locations such as Levittown, PA; Radburn, NJ; and Seaside, FL and analyzing their influence on neighborhood development today.
- Participated in the School of Architecture Summer Study Abroad Studio in Southeast Asia. Worked with a Malaysian colleague on an Eco-tourism Visitor Center in Borneo while visiting Japan, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore.
- Served as a member of the Architecture Student Council for three years where he was elected the student representative to the School of Architecture Facilities Committee.
- Received numerous academic scholarships including the Thomas Byerts Scholarship recognizing a thesis project which includes the application of social and behavioral theory; the Ruth Elaine Reed Memorial Scholarship for design excellence during a study abroad program; and the Franz Herding Memorial Fellowship for academic excellence.
Dustin is actively involved in youth mentoring through the Bellevue Public Library Study Zone Program. He is dedicated to physical fitness and enjoys spending time outdoors. He is passionate about the built environment and is a true learner at heart. When not photographing buildings around the globe he can be found in the architecture section of the local library, or in the workshop perfecting his recent furniture designs.